Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Recent Orthodontic Consultation

Hello all!

Just a quick post here...

I had an orthodontic consultation today.  The thought of having braces again does not exactly thrill me but the prospect of an open bite for the rest of my life thrills me even less...

Long story short: My anterior open bite can only be corrected with orthognathic surgery.  In the words of the orthodontist: "Putting braces on you would be a disaster."  Now, I would need to have braces before and after the surgery but he meant that braces alone would do me no good.

In addition to this diagnosis he showed me how my right jaw is not properly lined up and that I am at risk for increasing TMJ problems.  I also got to see confirmation of my deviated septum.  Indeed, my left sinus is considerably more narrow than my right.

One spot of good news: No airway issue (in the trachea) was detected.  Yay!

In a couple days, I shall have online access to my chart and images and I will share them with you.  I hope to have a detailed post of my consultation up before the weekend.  The orthodontist said some very interesting things that were both validating but bitterly frustrating because this consultation has shown me more than even just how much my childhood orthodontist let me down.  And I am using much nicer words than I want to right now.

That's it for now, folks.

Happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment