Tuesday, June 19, 2012

My Therapy, My Pillow

Hi there!

A relatively brief post today.

For one, I wanted to share that I am continuing to do well with my ongoing orofacial therapy. At last week's visit with my myofunctional therapist, my tongue was able to reach 27-28mm with my mouth open and tongue tip on the spot. That's an additional 5-8mm!


I'm still working on my diction and have to remember to slow down while talking so I can concentrate on the correct position of my tongue. My orofacial myologist reminded me that orofacial therapy takes time and it usually takes six months to a year or more for old tongue habits to be retrained. That's right, orofacial therapy is for the long haul. Still, I'd rather a year of therapy than several years or more of braces!!

My 'S' is still distorted but that won't change until I can correct my open bite. It is possible that the therapy will partially close my bite by eliminating my tongue thrust and strengthening my lips. Our lips act as a natural retainer for our teeth and strengthening them helps to keep our teeth 'in place' so to speak. So a good part of my therapy has been increasing lip strength.

In my last post, I talked about nasal breathing and described how much my sleep has improved since using Nozovent and taping my lips shut with Nexcare Paper Tape. Well, there is another product I've been using that has improved my sleep as well: the Save My face Pillow

Now, this pillow is advertised mostly for its beauty benefits (which I have enjoyed!) but what I also love about it is that since I started using it I no longer wake up with a sore and stiff neck. For years, I bought ergonomic pillows, memory foam pillows, fluffy pillows, desperately trying to find something that would be comfortable. I thought I needed something bulky to support my head and neck. Well, it tuns out I should have been buying a small, thin pillow instead.
"I've... I've never shown my pillow to a stranger before..."
I use my La Petite Save My Face Pillow on top of a thin pillow and no more stiff neck! I woke up soreness-free the first night I used it. Also, no more lines on my face in the morning and it even allows me to breathe easier through my nose because my nose isn't being smooshed by the pillow.

If your someone with neck or back problems, consult with a doctor about using this pillow. It may not be for everyone but I have been very happy with it. I feel it complements my orofacial therapy because it allows for proper alignment of my neck and back when I sleep which in turn supports proper alignment of cranial/facial muscles. All things are connected you know!

Happy trails!

-KP



No comments:

Post a Comment