Monday, June 25, 2012

Social Validation!!

Hi there!

Yesterday I went to a baby shower for a good friend of mine. While there, I chatted with some friends who I hadn't seen in a long time.  I told them about having a lingual frenectomy and why I had it. I described how my tongue tie affected my appearance - a pouty, downturned mouth; the beginnings of jowls - and one friend, Jennifer, exclaimed:


"Yes! You don't look ANGRY anymore!! All the tension in your face is gone!"

She then related to the other friend - who hasn't known me as long - how, when we would hang out when we were younger, people would frequently ask me if anything was wrong:

 - "Are you OK?"

 - "Is anything wrong?"

 - "Kirsten, are you all right?"

Jennifer: "And she would be fine! Even happy!"

Because I've always liked to make people laugh, nobody thought of me as angry. And long-term friends were used to my appearance - although even they occasionally checked in with me when they weren't sure if I was actually frowning or not.

Jaime also noted that my lisp was less noticeable now.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: having a lingual frenectomy and orofacial therapy is not just about improving speech. In addition to an improved appearance, improved speech, and improved sleep, I've also noticed that I haven't had a headache in months. Many people with ankyloglossia experience headaches and facial pain from the tension their tongue tie puts on their craniofacial muscles.

Goodness, there's still so much I want to post. Sorry for not posting more often! I do hope you all have been enjoying my blog so far :)

Happy trails!

2 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo you can use my real name if you so chose :)Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! All righty then :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete